I have a Western Digital 250GB SATA-II drive on an NForce4 integrated
SATA-II controller, here are my readings...

hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep -i dma
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   1646 MB in  2.00 seconds = 823.19 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  172 MB in  3.03 seconds =  56.77 MB/sec

Machine is an Athlon X2 3800+ running Gentoo 2007.0 AMD64

A Western Digital 500GB SATA-II drive, connected through a SATA-I PCI
card on another Gentoo box reports:

hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep -i dma
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5 udma6
                DMA Setup Auto-Activate optimization

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   312 MB in  2.01 seconds = 155.28 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  162 MB in  3.02 seconds =  53.65 MB/sec

The onboard Maxtor 60GB IDE drive reports:

hdparm -I /dev/hda | grep -i dma
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5

/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:   312 MB in  2.01 seconds = 155.17 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   76 MB in  3.05 seconds =  24.88 MB/sec

Machine is a Dell PowerEdge 350, PIII server running Gentoo 2007.0 i386.

I'm curious, is your optical drive also SATA? If it's not, then how do
you intend to access it without ATA/ATAPI drivers?

-Hal