On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:34:01 +0000
Stroller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 13 Jan 2008, at 15:13, Jesús Guerrero wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:21:30 +0000 Stroller
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> What I thought to do was to break the .iso into a multi-part .zip
> >> archive, transfer the separate files over to the Windows PC and then
> >> unzip them back into the original big file using Explorer's built-in
> >
> > The problem is that fat32 can't handle files that are larger than
> > 4gb-1byte. So, will still be unable to unzip or unrar that iso image.
>
> I believe you're mistaken in the direct cause of my problem. I'm
> using NTFS on the Windows XP machine.
>
> The file is the same size in bytes (8056211212) on the destination XP
> machine as it is on the Samba host, but the md5sums (using Sumemr
> Properties under XP) don't match.
>
> The reason I mentioned 4gb is kinda off-topic here, but I've had
> problems in the past running BitTorrent on Linux box, saving files to
> a directory which was samba mounted from another Linux box. I assumed
> that there was some kind of 4gb limitation of SMB - and a friend
> remarked the same problems (using a Mac) - but googling does not seem
> to support this.

Well, that is new info.

If you are using ntfs then the issue is not the one I suspected. I
know nothing about samba+big files, I did never use it with big files,
but I haven't hear of such a problem before. I'd blame the wireless
connection, but if the problem is only with that file, then that should
not the be proble either.

Anyway, I don't know if the winxp builtin feature supports multi
part zip files, so I would bet that using split+copy would be the
easiest thing to do. You can still compress it into a single zip file
before splitting it, that way you might save some bandwidth (or not,
since most of the dvd contents is already compressed via codecs
anyway).

--
Jesús Guerrero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>