Dan Farrell wrote:
You might consider building packages but not installing them -- I think
could use --buildpkgonly (aka -B) to achieve this end.  If the world
emerge with a -B flag finishes successfully, I think that means all
packages were built and you are ready to emerge world with --usepkgonly
(-K) without having to worry about build-time issues that could cause
conflicting packages on the system.

But what does everyone else think?

I like it. The only problem is it might not work in some situations where you need program A to compile program B (kde4 requires qt4). I've never gone from a non-hardened system -> hardened though so take my comments with a grain of salt. This could also work on other tricky upgrades.