On 2 Feb 2008, at 12:57, Liviu Andronic wrote:
With the current setup,
however, I need to press the restart button (in Xfce), wait patiently
till the computer restarts, wait for the grub screen and change the
option before the 5 seconds time-out expires. I find annoying when I
miss out the time-out, because of my going away from the computer
screen.

Basically, I would like to issue a command (restart with a certain
grub temporary setup change), go make myself a cup of tee and come
back and see the Windows login screen.

One answer to this is to change the "default" entry in /boot/grub/ grub.conf

If you don't want to do this manually using $editor each time you want to start Windows then you could surely write a script which would do so. In order to change /boot/grub/grub.conf from Windows you would need to install an ext3-write driver for 'doze or format your / boot partition FAT32.

Surely one could easily write a script which would change the "default" entry in /boot/grub/grub.conf. In order to change it back one would probably need to have it also write a /boot/grub/ my.next.boot.txt file, too, and have start-up scripts under each o/s to recognise that & once again edit /boot/grub/grub.conf. I do not think such a facility is built-in to grub.

Stroller.