> > I still can't send mail though, with or without authentication.  I get
> > this when port scanning with nmap:
> >
> > 25/tcp   filtered smtp
> >
> > Does that mean my host is blocking the smtp port?
>
> It's possible.  Or, perhaps you're behind a firewall without that port
> open?

My local network firewall here?  All outgoing connections on this
firewall are accepted.

> Many ISPs do block 25.  send me an IP if you want me to map from here.
> Otherwise, I'm sure if it looks closed, and you have it open on your
> end, it's got to be an ISP blockage.

When I nmap my remote server I get these filtered results:

25/tcp   filtered smtp
130/tcp  filtered cisco-fna
131/tcp  filtered cisco-tna
132/tcp  filtered cisco-sys
133/tcp  filtered statsrv
134/tcp  filtered ingres-net
135/tcp  filtered msrpc
136/tcp  filtered profile
137/tcp  filtered netbios-ns
138/tcp  filtered netbios-dgm
139/tcp  filtered netbios-ssn
445/tcp  filtered microsoft-ds
3128/tcp filtered squid-http
4444/tcp filtered krb524
6881/tcp filtered bittorent-tracker
6969/tcp filtered acmsoda

So that all must be filtered by my ISP (Cox)?

> I recommend you use 587 (right?) the smtp submission port, with sasl
> authentication, and ssl if possible.

What about your openvpn suggestion?  That would get around this
problem right?  Plus it's a generally good practice?

Thank you very much for all your help, and I'm going to get back to
that other thread now.

- Grant