On Friday 15 February 2008, Dale wrote:

> Little addition to XFS, I tried it once a while ago.  Every time the
> power failed, it would never boot again.  I can say from personal
> experience and from what I have read from others, if you plan to use
> XFS, have a good UPS hooked up.  It does not like power failures at
> all.  YMMV

XFS was designed to be used in environments where the admin is supposed
to GUARANTEE zero power outages.

SGI built it for their mips machines doing cool stuff like video
rendering. If you have a multi-million $ render farm churning out
Hollywood's latest blockbuster complete with special effects, it is
entirely reasonable to expect that the environment has UPS backup par
excellence.

So, using XFS on regular pcs without a UPS (or even with those dinky
little 10 minute uptime jobs) is a gross misuse of the XFS technology
IMNSHO. It simply was not built for that, in almost exactly the same
way that Lamborghini did not build the Murcielago so you could nip down
to the shops with it and buy a pack of fags...

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com