On Sonntag, 17. Februar 2008, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sunday 17 February 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > > So Hans and others could develop very cool features that 'plugin'
> > > to reiser4fs, but, if they choose, folks would have to *PAY* for
> > > these advanced features. That's the whole rub (in essence) as to
> > > why reiser4fs will never make it into the kernel. Lots of kernel
> > > folks  *do not trust Hans Reiser*.......
> >
> > that accusations came up. I remember. But what about the extremly
> > patched Distro kernels? They 'enhance' the kernels with 'special
> > features' and demand money for them (yes, I look at you Redhat and
> > Suse).
>
> Which proves that the GPL is working AS DESIGNED. What's wrong with
> that?
>

> Red Hat don't lock you out from their stuff. The fee you pay is in
> return for a promise from RH that if you have a problem with their
> stuff and phone them, they will pick up the phone and talk to you.
>
> If you don't like the fee structure, you know where the src rpm's are,
> you just don't get the human support you didn't pay for. There's always
> Centos who quite happily rebuild Red Hat's special stuff for you.
>
> As for SuSE, there's no evil there. A lot of stupidity and a lot of
> dumb-ass Novell who can't see a tree because there's a huge forest in
> the way, but no evil.

no, you misunderstood me. Why the 'oh my god, reiser4 might be able to use rd
party commercial modules (which would have to have compiled into the kernel -
thus must be GPLed)' but 'hey, patching kernel with commercial stuff is ok'
when it is is done by RedHAT and Suse.

And don't forget ccXFS. A cluster extension for XFS by SGI. Closed source, not
open - and all the hooks for it are in linux-xfs.

So for XFS it was ok to have the ability to load a closed source extension,
but for reiser4 it was not ok to habe the ability to extent itself with open
source extensions.

Do you see the problem?