On Sunday 17 February 2008, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > So Hans and others could develop very cool features that 'plugin'
> > to reiser4fs, but, if they choose, folks would have to *PAY* for
> > these advanced features. That's the whole rub (in essence) as to
> > why reiser4fs will never make it into the kernel. Lots of kernel
> > folks  *do not trust Hans Reiser*.......
>
> that accusations came up. I remember. But what about the extremly
> patched Distro kernels? They 'enhance' the kernels with 'special
> features' and demand money for them (yes, I look at you Redhat and
> Suse).

Which proves that the GPL is working AS DESIGNED. What's wrong with
that?

Red Hat don't lock you out from their stuff. The fee you pay is in
return for a promise from RH that if you have a problem with their
stuff and phone them, they will pick up the phone and talk to you.

If you don't like the fee structure, you know where the src rpm's are,
you just don't get the human support you didn't pay for. There's always
Centos who quite happily rebuild Red Hat's special stuff for you.

As for SuSE, there's no evil there. A lot of stupidity and a lot of
dumb-ass Novell who can't see a tree because there's a huge forest in
the way, but no evil.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com