On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 18:08 -0200, Alejandro Bednarik wrote:

> 2008/2/16, Iain Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>         try adding
>         >/dev/null 2>&1
>         to the end of it.

> Hi!
> about sudo /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart >/dev/null 2>&1 I tried this
> before send this email, but the NetworkManager logs <info> and <debug>
> in the tty1 anyway, the only change is that i don't see any output in
> the terminal i run the command.

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh i see...

I thought you were on console 1, I didn't realise that NetworkManager
printed output to console 1 even if you started it from elsewhere... Now
I get it!

> about start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --exec ${processname} yes, i
> also tried your suggestion before send the email, but with the same
> bad result.

yes, won't work given what you've said...

> I not sure but for me, the parameter console=tty1 i have in the the
> kernel line i use in grub have something to do (i use fbsplash and
> fbcondecor), but is not the only reason, i check sabayon linux which
> use NetworkManager, fbsplash and fbconvecor just like the way i do,
> but NM don't do the same.

Sounds like NetworkManager is using syslog() to write to the log file,
and you have syslog set up to notify you.  This usually happens by
printing messages to console 1!  NetworkManager seems to translate glib
errors directly to syslog errors.  Have a look at nm-logging.c if you
want to see more about that.

Anyway, depending on the logger you use (I use syslog-ng) you can set it
up not to be so verbose.  syslog-ng allows you to filter based on
program name for example.  man syslog-ng.conf for more info (or whatever
logger you use :)

Have a look at http://www.campin.net/syslog-ng.conf for some examples.

HTH,

I can understand how they wouldn't let in those wild jungle apes, but what
about those really smart ones who live among us who rollerskate and smoke
cigars?

                -- Homer Simpson, on Heaven
                   The Telltale Head