Philip Webb wrote:
080221 Drew Tomlinson wrote:
I emerged OpenOffice 2.3.1 on my amd64 install running gentoo-2.6.23-r5.
I can start OpenOffice as root but not as a regular user.

How are you starting it ?  Do you enter eg 'oocalc' from a CLI
or do you click on an icon in a start menu ?  If the latter,
check that the menu is using the correct command (eg use Kmenuedit).
If the former, are there any error messages ?

I have started it both ways as a user. As root, I start from the CLI after su to root from my user login.

There are no error messages. When starting as a user, the splash graphic just sits there and the CPU usage is basically 100% for both X and oosplash.bin. When starting as root, the splash graphic starts and then a progress bar at the bottom of the splash graphic progresses in about 10 seconds and OpenOffice starts. The progress bar never progresses when starting as a user. I have to kill oosplash.bin with signal 15 after starting as a user to return my system to normal.

Some more Googling turned up this post:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-623771-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-25.html?sid=1514fa8e48f6a12a86c6c66e920161e9

I found that when I su to root, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not defined. As a user, it is defined as:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib32/xorg:/usr/lib64/xorg

If I unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a user terminal, then OpenOffice starts. So what is LD_LIBRARY_PATH and why am I seeing this behavior?

Thanks,

Drew

--
Be a Great Magician!