On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:52:39AM -0800, Penguin Lover Drew Tomlinson squawked:
> There are no error messages.  When starting as a user, the splash
> graphic just sits there and the CPU usage is basically 100% for both X
> and oosplash.bin.  When starting as root, the splash graphic starts and
> then a progress bar at the bottom of the splash graphic progresses in
> about 10 seconds and OpenOffice starts.  The progress bar never
> progresses when starting as a user.  I have to kill oosplash.bin with
> signal 15 after starting as a user to return my system to normal.
>
> Some more Googling turned up this post:
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-623771-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-25.html?sid=1514fa8e48f6a12a86c6c66e920161e9
>
> I found that when I su to root, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not defined.  As a
> user, it is defined as:
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib32/xorg:/usr/lib64/xorg
>
> If I unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH in a user terminal, then OpenOffice starts.
> So what is LD_LIBRARY_PATH and why am I seeing this behavior?

See

 http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Admin/ld-lib-path.html
 http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/LD_LIBRARY_PATH

So the question is one of hunting down where this variable is set.
Your .bashrc? Perhaps grepping through /etc/env.d?

What is the meaning of Life?

To search for truth and beauty.
To ask questions.
To find the answer to this question
To rigorously mathematically prove by epislon-delta treatment that this
question has no answer. Proof? For all oranges greater than zero, there exists
a banana such that for all fruits tastier than the banana, an orange sweeter
than a banana implies the orange is yellow. So by the Jedi-Schwartz Inequality,
all oranges are not orange. This leads to an obvious contradiction.

It's too bad life is a departmental requirement, otherwise I'd P/D/F it.

     ~Phil Wei
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 441 days, 20:06