Grant,
   If you want to do a complete switch then you would change your USB
card to index 0 and restart Als which would make the USB card the
default since card 0 is always the default for Alsa. On the other
hand, if you wanted to just leave the onboard card as default and send
audio from a specific application to the USB card you would tell the
application to use hw:1 explicity, either in the command line when you
start the app or in an application's config file. On my system I let
all my web/browest audio go to the onboard sound card but I send all
my CD audio directly to my good card using Aqualung and configuring it
from the command line. (Actually in my launcher.)

   to the best of my knowledge there has never been a way to simply
switch sound cards on the fly in Alsa. I've requested this sometime
back but the developers haven't shown any interest.

Hope this helps,
Mark