> Grant,
>    If you want to do a complete switch then you would change your USB
>  card to index 0 and restart Als which would make the USB card the
>  default since card 0 is always the default for Alsa. On the other
>  hand, if you wanted to just leave the onboard card as default and send
>  audio from a specific application to the USB card you would tell the
>  application to use hw:1 explicity, either in the command line when you
>  start the app or in an application's config file. On my system I let
>  all my web/browest audio go to the onboard sound card but I send all
>  my CD audio directly to my good card using Aqualung and configuring it
>  from the command line. (Actually in my launcher.)
>
>    to the best of my knowledge there has never been a way to simply
>  switch sound cards on the fly in Alsa. I've requested this sometime
>  back but the developers haven't shown any interest.
>
>  Hope this helps,
>  Mark

Hi Mark,

Changing the index and restarting alsasound would be a great switching
method but I can't get that to work.  No matter which one I set to
index=0 and which to index=1 the sound always comes out of the USB
card.

BTW, what sound card are you using?  Here's mine, it's great:

http://diyparadise.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=82

- Grant