On 24 Feb 2008, at 19:46, Christopher Copeland wrote:
On 24 Feb 2008, at 06:06, Stroller wrote:

So my question is:

Is there any way to check the integrity of copied directories, to be sure that none of the files or sub-directories in them have become damaged during transfer? I'm thinking of something like md5sum for directories.

I use rsync for this and would suggest you look into it. You can tell it to compare files based on checksum (which is slower) and the real beauty is that if there is a file that is corrupt or otherwise not the same as the source it will copy just that single file to your backup disk. Test it by deleting a random file somewhere in the backup tree.. rerun your rsync command and the file is copied back.

man rsync

Thanks. I think this has been suggested before for my backups - IIRC it has a useful --ignore-path or --exclude-path command which can insure you all the users' Documents & Settings, without the useless temp & "Temporary Internet Files".

I've just tried `rsync- vrchi` on a pair of subdirectories ("My Documents") of the backup I made last week and on those it seems run in acceptable time. I got little output, however, so have deleted a couple of files from the destination (I should perhaps write some random data to another) and am running it again in anticipation of some "copying /a/b/c/file /x/y/z/file" output.

I appreciate your help,

Stroller. --