On Sat, 1 Mar 2008 12:16:36 -0800
"Mark Knecht" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Chris Walters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> >  Hello,
> >
> >  Can anyone tell me what packages you know of that will break your
> > system if you choose to put "ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~amd64" in your
> > make.conf file?  I have had my system break, twice now, from a
> > package upgrade - I think that one of the culprits is gawk, but
> > can't be certain.
> >
> >  I do know that the only way to fix the problem was to restore from
> > backup, or to try re-installing again.  I just want to know which
> > packages are so unstable that I should mask them.  TIA.

doesn't sound like a broken package to me.  perhaps something else got
borked?

> >  Regards,
> >  Chris
> >

> Hi Chris,
>    I don't think your question can be answered as phrased.
>
>    *Any* package marked with '~' is 'new', 'in testing', 'unstable',
> etc. Very few (in my experience) 'break' my machine, but I have a rule
> that any package energed as part of emerge system must be stable and I
> personally add ~x86 or ~amd64 only for specific packages that I want
> or need some new feature.

My experience is the same as Mark's.  I use ~amd64 only when
necessary, and although sometimes it doesn't work or is buggy
afterwords (after all, it's testing) it has never once broken the
system.   That having been said, I wouldn't use it for system critical
anything (other than the kernel).