On Wednesday 05 March 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Well now...
>
> I've install Gentoo Linux couple times with O3 optimize flag and
> there is nothing with it. I can try but I don't think that makes this
> error. GLX is needed by me because OpenGL programming and UT2004
> playing :);). Compose is available by KDE3 and 4.0 build inside by
> desktop effects. I install KDE4 because it compiles faster than KDE4
> on my laptop and shows (because of cmake) progress of compilation
> ;)... like when you must shutdown laptop when work time is up and You
> need to go home ;)... Compiz-fussion I already use under old PC with
> NV FX5500 on board, but on Laptop I don't touch that - intel cards
> don't have much power as NV - even 965GM chip on board.

Step 1 when debugging is to remove those things that have proven
problematic in the past and retry. Do not assume this step, do it and
check. If I could tell you the number of times I've had to discipilne
people who thought they knew better on this point....

-O3 is known to cause deep changes in the compiled code compared to -O2,
it's not an optimization here and there, the differences are quite
substantial and can involve completely different code paths. If the
source is not written with -O3 in mind, you can get odd bugs.

KDE4 is unstable for a very good reason - it is not known to work always
and stably. Compiz and composition in general is still a moving target,
not always fully supported by the hardware or the drivers.

I could give many more examples, but theperson you replied to seems to
know what he's talking about. My advice is that you listen to him and
start taking a methodical approach to solving your problem.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com