Hi.

Recently I got tired of my touchpad being too sensitive, and I decided
to try the synaptics-how-to on the gentoo-wiki. However, when starting
X I get:

[---]
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.0.log", Time: Thu Mar  6 13:09:00 2008
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(II) Module already built-in
(EE) NVIDIA(1): Unable to find available Display Devices for screen 1.
TouchPad no synaptics event device found (checked 17 nodes)
Query no Synaptics: 6003C8
(EE) TouchPad no synaptics touchpad detected and no repeater device
(EE) TouchPad Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "TouchPad"
[---]

(And the touchpad gets turned off.)
The "no synaptics touchpad detected"-part gave me a hint to take a
look at /proc/bus/input/devices, and what I find is... strange:

[---]
I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0005 Version=0063
N: Name="ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio4/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio4/input/input4
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=mouse0 event4
B: EV=7
B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=103
[---]

I don't know much about this, but that does not seem to be a touchpad
(I'm very sure it's not my (usb) mouse).

For some time I lost hope of ever getting it to work. But then I
accidentally boot a ubuntu Live, and then my touchpad worked without
any problem. I compared the xorg.conf's (mine and ubuntu-live) and
they are the same.

So what I suggest could be the problem is that I got my kernel wrong,
since it seem to emulate Logitech instead of synaptics. But I don't
know if that is the problem, or how I fix it. (I have all the kernel
options that the gentoo-wiki synaptics-how-to recommends.)

Thanks for any suggestions!