On Friday 07 March 2008, Daevid Vincent wrote:
> I've noticed this for quite some time and I'm finally getting around
> to "fixing" it, if it even needs to be fixed...
>
> When I startup my notebook, I see this message:
>
>  * The device-mapper init script is written for baselayout-2
>  * Please do not use it with baselayout-1
>
> locutus ~ # eix baselayout
> [I] sys-apps/baselayout
>      Available versions:  1.11.15-r3 1.12.10-r5 ~1.12.11 1.12.11.1
> [M]~2.0.0_rc6-r1 {bootstrap build kernel_FreeBSD kernel_linux pam
> static unicode}
>      Installed versions:  1.12.11.1(14:20:50 02/29/08)(-bootstrap
> -build -static -unicode)
>
> Since I'm not real sure what this package does, I am unsure if I
> should just unmerge and re-emerge it (perhaps at one time I ran the
> ~x86 version and so I have a mixture?)
>
> Is there a better way to fix this?
>
> Is it even worth fixing?
>
> I don't *notice* anything wrong other than the warning there, so
> perhaps it's just benign.

READ THE ERROR MESSAGE PROPERLY.

It says "The device-mapper init script is written for baselayout-2.
Please do not use it with baselayout-1."

What does that mean? It means that you are not using baselayout-2, you
are using baselayout-1, and you are also using the device-mapper init
script which doesn't work right with baselayout-1.

As it turns out, the init-script in this case just exists in this
condition, so you could ignore it. To make the message go away, remove
device-mapper from your runlevel:

sudo rc-update del device-mapper default

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com