On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 16:36:55 -0600, Dale wrote:

> I would stop the service, remove it from any of the run levels and
> reboot and see what happens.  I guess in theory you could just go to
> single user mode but I would reboot if it were me.  If everything goes
> well then you may be able to remove it and cause no harm.

Just stop the service and remove it from all runlevels, that's it.

The elog message when installing device-mapper is quite clear "If you are
using baselayout-2, be sure to run: # rc-update add device-mapper boot".
As the OP is almost certainly not using baselayout-2, it is masked, this
service should never have been added to any runlevel.

--
Neil Bothwick

Disc space -- the final frontier!