On Monday 14 April 2008, Steven Lembark wrote:
> > I second that, tmpfs for /tmp is great:
> >
> > tmpfs                 512M   12K  512M   1% /tmp
>
> Catch: You loose it all on reboot.

Doesn't matter. The standard definition for /tmp (per FHS) is "contains
files that are not expected to persists across different invocations of
a program". Never mind reboots, if you just exit and restart vi, it
cannot expect the temp file to still be there.

vi is a sane program and will in all likelihood respect this
almost-universal standard. If anyone wants different behaviour (can't
think why...) then configure vi to use a different directory as a
scratch pad

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com