Alan McKinnon schrieb:
On Wednesday 16 April 2008, Richard Marzan wrote:
I had a circular dep problem with mktemp and coreutils and emerge
-C'd coreutils. Now I can't do anything significant just cd. how can
i repair this?

Boot off a LiveCD somehow. Use one that has a fairly recent coreutils on it, and merge the coreutils pkg onto your actual system on disk. You will have to mount your disk-based system somewhere convenient and tell portage off the LiveCD to use that as the ROOT system to merge to.

Next time portage tells you that unmerging something in system is a very very very bad idea, you should take it seriously.

Hi,
you are not the only one who removed coreutils.
http://forums.gentoo.org/search.php?mode=results&show_results=topics&search_keywords=coreutils