I have a little Mac Mini  - my first attempt at Gentoo on a PowerPC -
that I brought up this week. It was (is) working but I'm not using it
for anything yet. Just playing around with the machine. Nothing
serious.

This morning I wasn't paying much attention and wanted to do an emerge
-DuN world. The process had blocking issues:

 MacMini ~ # emerge -pv coreutils

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild     U ] sys-devel/automake-1.10.1 [1.10] 897 kB
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r1 [6.9-r1] USE="acl nls
(-selinux) -static -vanilla% -xattr" 3,670 kB
[blocks B     ] sys-apps/mktemp (is blocking sys-apps/coreutils-6.10-r1)
[blocks B     ] >=sys-apps/coreutils-6.10 (is blocking sys-apps/mktemp-1.5)

Total: 2 packages (2 upgrades, 2 blocks), Size of downloads: 4,566 kB

so without any real thought I did an emerge -C coreutils and walked
away. Well, that, it seems, was a *very* bad idea. Now nothing much
works. There were some messages that had I been watching I would have
stopped the process but I wasn't so there you go. Oops.

Anyway, the machine is still up and running but I suspect that it
might not reboot or allow logins if it did reboot. I'm unable to
emerge anything right now. coreutils, as folks probably know, includes
stuff that once gone pretty much stops the machine from being
interesting or useful.

Question: Is there a way to recover from this?

It's not a huge issue even if I have to completely rebuild the
machine. As I say this was mostly a Gentoo build on a lark to test out
how the machine might work for a couple of different ideas -
mythfrontend and a simple router. Everything was quick and dirty and
there are a few things I might change anyway, but if I can get it
working again I figure I should learn how.

Thanks in advance,
Mark