Dave Jones wrote:
Hi Matt

Matt Harrison wrote on 23/04/08 07:05:
I've been running a gentoo system as my fileserver without problems for a while. Its using software raid (1+0) with lvm on top, and its been a dream until now.

The other day I did an emerge world and had a message about an sqlite ebuild missing from the repository. Well I had other things to do so I thought I'd leave that for now (sqlite isn't critical).

Now after a reboot I can't mount my LVM partitions, my raid is working fine, but nothing I can do will discover my lvm partitions or volumes. If i try to manually start the lvm service, I get the message about it being written for baselayout-2 and not being suitable for baselayout-1.

I've managed to find some info about the OpenRC and baselayout-2 change, however nothing seems to apply to my situation, and I certainly never meant to do an upgrade that would make such a serious change.

Is there some way I can recover my system without having to re-install? I've got a lot of data that I would cry if i lost, although I think the data is ok...I'm just really confused about this baselayout-2 change.

Because all my partitions (except root and boot) are on LVM, I can't get to see if i accidentally installed something wrong, and I can't even try to re-emerge lvm etc.

Any tips would be greately appreciated.

Add lvm to your boot run level for baselayout-2:

rc-update add lvm boot

Cheers, Dave
Hey Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I've just tried adding lvm to my boot runlevel. Unfortunately, its exactly the same. The LVM service does now start, but I'm still told that no volumes can be found.

I've verified that the raid arrays are all running ok, however LVM just seems to have lost all my partitions...which seems crazy.

I really, really hope that the upgrade doesn't mean i've lost data.

Thanks