Alan McKinnon wrote:
It's highly unlikely you lost data, as the upgrade would not have
changed the on-disk metadata. If all else fails, you could boot off an LVM-enabled LiveCD and you'll find all your volumes present. But first we need to find out what's going on (my machine uses baselayout-2 and openrc & my lvm volumes were unaffected.

What output do you get from
pvscan
vgscan
lvscan
vgchange -a y

and what's in the various logs regarding lvm startup?

Ok,

pvscan says:
   No Matching physical volumes found

vgscan says:
   Reading all physical volumes....This make take a while
   No volume groups found

lvscan says:
   No volume groups found

vgchange -a y says:
   No volume groups found.

There's not much in the way of logs, seeing as syslog can't start (/var partition is on LVM too). running dmesg doesn't output anything relevant to LVM

And in reply to Dirk's email, I've added the line to my /etc/rc.conf, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference :(