On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 12:42 PM, Neil Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > I log in and want
> > to figure out what's in front of me with respect to updates. I type
> > emerge sync and portage deletes files. to me that's just wrong.
> >

>  What the heck are you talking about? "emerge --sync" doesn't delete ANY
> files from your system.

This whole thread, from my original subject line on, has been saying
that emerge --sync removes profiles. Does it or not?

On this specific machine following emerge --sync the link
/etc/make.profile was pointing at nothing. I originally asked if it
was removed by emerge --sync or whether it had just gotten messed up.
Everyone seemed to reply that emerge --sync removes profiles which
seems to be in conflict with your last comment.

As for my earlier losing kernels and ATI drivers, that could have
easily been something like I cleaned out distfiles since these
machines don't have much disk space and then since they were removed
from the servers I couldn't get it any more. If it happened that way
then that's a problem on my end, not portage.

- Mark