On Tuesday 03 June 2008, Norman Hakim wrote:
> >>By the way, you may want to just shrink your MSWindows partition with
>
>  e.g.
> gparted LiveCD and then create new partitions to install Gentoo in.
>   This
> will allow you to multiboot into either OS.  A common data partition
>  will
> allow you access to your data files, music, etc. by both OS too.<<
>
> HI,
>
> Can u assist me or explain more detailed how do i shrink my MSWindows and
> how do i create new partitions to install Gentoo so that i can do multiboot
> into either os? and also about the common data partition.

Hi Norman,
html format and top-posting.

My way of shrinking MSWIndows OS partitions:

1. Move all data files from C:\ drive, where MSWindows usually saves files as
a default (e.g. from My Documents, My Music, etc.), to a CD/DVD/fileserver.
2. Delete all *.tmp files under C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Local
Settings\Temp, stale image files, etc.
3. Defragment the C:\ drive, reboot and defragment once more.
4. Use Gparted to shrink the C:\ drive partition to something between 12 to
15GB.
5. Boot into MSWindows, which may well run chdisk - let it finish.  Then go to
Administrative Tools/ Disk Manager and create a new data partition, but leave
enough space on the disk for the Gentoo partitions (min 10G).  The new data
partition can be formatted as ntfs or msdos.
6. Move all your data files from the CD/DVD/fileserver into the new partition.
Change all MSWindows applications default paths to save their new files into
your new data partition, instead of C:\ - otherwise you will soon run out of
space on your C:\ drive.

For getting gparted go to http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php download
the iso and burn a CD image.  If you would prefer using a LiveUSB and your PC
can boot from a USB drive, then follow the link to the LiveUSB in the gparted
website.

Then follow the Gentoo installation handbook for creating the Gentoo
partitions while booted into the gparted LiveCD if you wish, or boot using
the Gentoo LiveCD and use fdisk to create the new partitions exactly as the
handbook describes.

Multibooting can be achieved in different ways.  If your linux installation is
to become permanent then follow the Gentoo handbook to install Grub in the
MBR of the hard disk and configure your /boot/grub/grub.conf as shown in the
handbook for chainloading the WinXP OS.

Alternatively, if your MSWindows OS is permanent and your Linux installation
is temporary, you will need to install Grub into the partition boot sector of
your Linux OS (either the /boot partition, or if you do not use a separate
boot partition then use your root partition) and follow the instructions
under the section "Getting NTLDR to Load Linux" in this link:
http://www.vsubhash.com/writeups/multiboot_os.asp

The link describes the LiLo boot manager, but the principles are the same as
far as MSWindows is concerned.  You can google for "chainload Grub using
NTLDR" or similar to find the same approach but using Grub as the linux boot
manager.

HTH.
--
Regards,