On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 9:06 PM, Norman Hakim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> *Mark Shields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>* wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 1:07 AM, Norman Hakim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> hi...I have one problem,after boot my Gentoo liveCD,after i chose to boot
>> for the kernel and hardware,after the gui appeared and also progress bar
>> until it finished boot the system,suddenly my monitor goes to standby
>> mode,i'm wondering why is this happen.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Norman Hakim
>>

>>     * NORMAN HAKIM YAHYA*
>>

> Sounds like a problem with it detecting your video card or your monitor.
> I'd suggest doing the text-based install instead.
>
> --
> - Mark Shields
>
> Because after my monitor turn to standby mode, after a few seconds there is
> a sound from my graphic card. How do i actually do the text-based install?
> from the  guideline handbook only show how to install by using gui.
>
> Thank you
>
> Norman
>

>     * NORMAN HAKIM YAHYA*

You'll need the minimal install cd.  See:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=2#doc_chap2-
the handbook covers both the liveCD install and the minimal cd
install.
Here's a link to the minimal cd for x86:
http://bouncer.gentoo.org/fetch/gentoo-2007.0-minimal/x86/ - or if you don't
use x86, see: http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml

The text-based install is not automated like most of the gui installer. The
text-based install does not give you a bootable, gui-based system; you have
to build it yourself.  But I assure you, you will learn a lot more by doing
so, and you'll have a lean system built to the way you want it.  This used
to be the only method for any install until the gui installer came along.

--
- Mark Shields