on Thursday 06/26/2008 Joerg Schilling([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote
 > John covici <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 >
 > >  > I recommend you to get a recent cdrtools (e.g. from
 > >  > ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/)
 > >  >
 > >  > and install cdda2wav suid root.
 > >  >
 > >  > Then call:
 > >  >
 > >  > cdda2wav -e -N -B
 > >  >
 > >  > If everything is OK, then you will be able to listen to the music.
 > >  > Otherwise you see human readble error messages that point you to the
 > > problem.
 > >  >
 > >  > Jörg
 > >
 > > OK, we are now getting somewhere, I did hear sound out of that, now
 > > that is interesting, but how does this work -- does it not copy the
 > > file or is it playing from the drive?  I have cdcd and it thinks its
 > > playing, bu I hear nothing.  Also, I can't get mplayer to do anyting,
 > > it thinks the url is wrong or something, so this is more complicated.
 >
 > cdda2wav does things as they should be done ;-)
 >
 > There are many possible reasons for your problems.
 > A big problem is that on Linux _some_ SCSI commands may be send to drives
 > without haveing root privileges and developers created GUI tools that
 > did things that will not work on other platforms and that will not even
 > work for all drives on Linux.
 >
 > If the applications that does not work does not tell you why, you are lost.

Well, cdcd is what I would like to use, it thinks it is playing, and
did work when I had a driv with that cable, but I hear no sound now.
I think it is reading the data off of the cd and I guess its not doing
the correct thing with it.

Can you recomend a console player with some features like rewind, fast
forward, pause and title lookup, etc -- I don't mind changing if I
need to change.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici