> > Norman,
> >
> > I am glad to know that you have chosen Gentoo as your
> first contact
> > with GNU/Linux. First of all, congratulations! having
> a working Gentoo
> > system without any previous Linux knowledge is a
> terrific start!
> >
> > I assumed that you knew what fstab is and how to
> modify that file
> > because it is explained in the Gentoo Handbook, which
> is the reference
> > to install this distribution.
> >
> > As explained in the Gentoo Handbook chapter 8 [1], you
> manually
> > created a text file under "/etc" called
> "fstab". This simple text file
> > contains all the necessary information to, let's
> say "auto-mount" your
> > different devices.
> >
> > This is my fstab, I post it here as an example:

> > /dev/hdc1               /boot
> > ext2            defaults,noatime
>          1 2
> > /dev/hdc3               /
> > reiserfs        noatime
>  0 1
> > /dev/hdc2
> > none                    swap            sw
>                                  0
> > 0
> > /dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      auto
> noauto,ro,user                          0
> > 0
> > /dev/floppy/fd0 /mnt/floppy
> > auto            noauto,rw,user
>  0 0
> > /dev/hda1
> > /mnt/RIC                vfat
> defaults,noatime,user
> > 0 0
> > /dev/hdb2               /mnt/ZERO
> > vfat            defaults,noatime,user
>  0 0
> > /dev/sda1
> > /mnt/USB                auto            noauto,rw,user
> >
> > # NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
> > proc                    /proc
> > proc            defaults
>          0 0
> >
> > # glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at
> /dev/shm for
> > # POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
> > # (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable
> ramdisk, and will
> > #  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
> > shm
> > /dev/shm                tmpfs
> nodev,nosuid,noexec                        0
> > 0

> > Usually, adding this
> >
> > "/dev/cdrom
> > /mnt/cdrom      auto            noauto,ro,user
>                  0 0"
> >
> > should be enough to have your cd-rom/cd-rw/dvd working
> =).
> >
> > If that does not work, then let us know and see if we
> can figure out
> > something else. If it does work, then great! go on
> enjoying Gentoo
> > Linux.
> >
> > You learn a lot using Gentoo. Is the only distribution
> [...]

Cristian Gary,
i've grouped it into plugdev.

Richard,

After i type this command "/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom      auto      noauto,ro,user
   0 0" it shows:

                bash: /dev/cdrom: Permission denied
i've login using root account. i've right clicked at the cdrom to see the
properties and under Permissions tab the Owner column stated unknown and i
tried to change the Access column to Read and Write it popup "The permisions
could not be changed"

Regards,
Norman