Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
Dale wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
Mick wrote:
[...]
What would be the recommended way of upgrading from the /dev/hd to /dev/sd then? I have held back doing this because I didn't have the time to mess about with it. If I were to configure a new kernel without legacy ATA drivers, how would I know what my devices will be seen as in advance, so that I can change my /etc/fstab before I reboot?

The way I do it, is to label my partitions. If your partitions aren't labeled yet, you can do so with 'tune2fs'. If your /dev/hda1 is your root (/), /dev/hda2 your /home and /dev/hda3 your swap, you can label them with:

  tune2fs -L GentooRoot /dev/hda1
  tune2fs -L GentooHome /dev/hda2
  mkswap -L GentooSwap /dev/hda3
[...]

Question, if I were to label mine and then boot from a Gentoo or any other bootable CD, would those labels still be there?

The labels are part of the file system; they're always there. For example, when booting the 2007.0 LiveDVD (which uses the legacy drivers, meaning /dev/hd* instead of /dev/sd*) the labels are there and I can mount /dev/disk/by-label/GentooRoot just fine.

Keeeewl.  Now to see what I can screw up.  o_O

Dale

:-)  :-)