Thierry de Coulon wrote:
On Tuesday 19 August 2008, Graham Murray wrote:
I have a similar problem. I have installed and selected dictionaries,
but openoffice will only allow me to select English as the language for
spell checking.

I don't know what version of OOo you are using and I don't run it on Gentoo now so I don't know if there is anything special, but AFAIK you have to *install* the dictonaries from "inside" OpenOffice.

You can check in your home directory (for me in .000-2.0/user/wordbook) what dictionaries are installed. Specialy check the file dictionary.lst: if your dictionary is not correctly listed, OOo will not give you the possibility to use it. For example, I have this:

# 23.09.2007 09:23:16
# 23.09.2007 09:23:24
# 23.09.2007 09:23:49
DICT fr FR fr_FR
DICT fr CH fr_FR
DICT de DE de_DE
HYPH en GB hyph_en_GB
HYPH fr FR hyph_fr_FR
HYPH fr CH hyph_fr_FR
HYPH de DE hyph_de_DE
THES en GB th_en_US_v2
THES fr FR th_fr_FR_v2
THES fr CH th_fr_FR_v2
THES de DE th_de_DE_v2
# 23.09.2007 09:29:44
DICT en US en_US
HYPH en US hyph_en_US
THES en US th_en_US_v2

You can either modify this file by hand, or use OpenOffice to install the missing dictionaries (these should be a macro for that on their site, or some versions had a wizard if I remeber well).

Thierry

I compile my OO and I didn't do anything inside OO for my spell checker to work. I also have not had to modify any files either. I can't recall ever having to do anything like that even back when I was on Mandrake many years ago.

Just a thought.

Dale

:-)  :-)