Dan Johansson wrote:
The above worked like a charm on my desktop but on my notebook it fails to autoaticly bring up the usb0 interface. If I do '/etc/init.d/net.usb0 start' on the notebook everything works as expected (this I don't have to do on the desktop). Any suggestions where to look?

You may have the following line in your /etc/conf.d/rc:

  RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.*"

This disables automatic starting of network services. You should replace it with something like:

  RC_PLUG_SERVICES="!net.eth0 !net.wlan0"

where you enumerate the network services you *don't* want to start, and of course leave out net.usb0.

-- Remy