Hey Grant,
I'm the owner of an EeePC 701 (though it recently became defective, i'm opening a case with asus for repairs...).

First thing i did was to burn Slax 6 (see slax @ http://www.slax.org/) on a USB key, boot it and `dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdc` (bye bye lite-version-of-xandros-for-kids-or-retards-only).

Slax comes with scripts to automate the process of making the key bootable. Go into the bios while the key is in, and you will be able to choose your "USB Megacorp key drive" (or whatever) as the boot device, reboot and enjoy a very nice, complete, full featured linux distribution.

  It should easilly become your rescue disk for your EeePC.

From there, you will simply follow all instructions for installing gentoo on your sdd hd in a chrooted environment. This will work exactly like with the cd (well, you'll have to work with it as if it was a network install and download the relevant packages). Slax comes with konqueror as the browser, but you can download modules to get firefox instead and simply place them in the key, if i remember right at /<path-to-key>/slax/modules/.

Have fun!

Grant wrote:
I'm very familiar with installing Gentoo via LiveCD, but I'm not sure
how to go about it without a CD drive.  I'm sure there are many exotic
options to choose from, but I'd rather not have to learn too much new
stuff to get this done.  Can anyone recommend a simple method?  I have
a wired/wireless LAN/internet connection and 3 systems on the LAN
running Gentoo.  No USB drive though.

- Grant