2008/10/31 Nikos Chantziaras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Joshua Murphy wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Markos Chandras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> From my experience i would recommend to use alsa-in-kernel + alsa-libs +
>>> alsa-headers + alsa-utils + alsa-tools
>>>
>>> This combination works perfect on my 3 gentoo machines
>>
>> All... *thinks a moment*  6 of mine as well.
>
> void shameless_plug()
> {
>    One of the reasons I love Gentoo is
>    because it allowed me to recompile all
>    apps without ALSA support and use OSS
>    (version 4) instead which for me worked
>    much, much better than ALSA.
> }
>
> ;D

ok, all of you said alsa in-kernel + alsa-lib + alsa-header is working
perfectly.
Yes, it's working for me too on my other gentoo box.

But i read this after building alsa-lib:
* Please try in-kernel ALSA drivers instead of the alsa-drivers ebuild.
* If alsa-drivers works for you where a recent kernel does not, we want
* to know about this. Our e-mail address is [EMAIL PROTECTED]
* However, if you notice no sound output or instability, please try to
* upgrade your kernel to a newer version first.

and this makes me think i should get rid of those packages as it say "instead".
Is this wrong? do we still need alsa-lib and co.?