Joshua Murphy wrote:
On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 6:49 AM, Mick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>
More sophisticated routers allow you to set up on their CLI static LAN IP
addresses using the DUID string, instead of the client's MAC hardware
address.

Previous versions of dhcpcd had the vram USE flag which copied the hardware
address into the DUID string and the dhcp servers would happily recognise the
original network device, while using the DUID string.  Now the vram flag is
gone.  Therefore, if you cannot set up static IP addresses with your router's
CLI using the client_indentifier string (like e.g. on Cisco and
Adtran/Netvanta routers), the only other solution would be to set it on the
client side.  That's an inconvenient solution if you have a laptop which
connects to all sort of networks with different LAN IP addresses/ranges.  In
that case you may have to run ifconfig and route manually each time you
connect to a network.

Or, actually, you could just give in and use a different dhcp
client... one more forgiving of less RFC compliant servers.  Just
winging an admittedly untested idea... try "busybox udhcpc" and see if
it gives you the right IP... and if so, try emerging net-misc/udhcp
(different from BB's built in, but it's worked in all the same places
as BB's has for me, which includes some very cheap routers) and
setting your conf.d/net to use it over other clients. ( modules=(
"udhcpc" ) )

I just did this and everything is OK; the MAC address is correct. Booting is also faster by about 8-10 seconds (dhcpcd needed about 10 seconds to get the IP, udhcpc gets an IP instantly.)

And no, my router isn't broken. Quite the contrary; all the Ciscos and Netgears and whatevers developed problems over time. My old trusty Thomson SpeedTouch just keeps walking for ages, running 24/7 for over 5 years :)