Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
Andrey Falko wrote:
On 11/20/08, *Nikos Chantziaras* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    As it happens, upgrading to kernel 2.6.27 was not the only change; I
    switched from xf86-video-radeonhd to the proprietary ATI Catalyst
    drivers.  Didn't think that this has anything to do with it though.

I have a hunch that this is the problem. Have you tried 2.6.27 without the proprietary ATI drivers?

I'll be running tests on this with various combinations (2.6.26/2.6.27/Catalyst/open source radeonhd) and see what happens. Re-emerging a bunch of stuff should do it.

That was easier than expected. I've got segfaults every single time I emerged mozilla-thunderbird. Both with kernel 2.6.26 as well as 2.6.27.

Reverting back to the open source radeonhd driver made this stop. This is a serious issue because you'll get segfaults only if you're lucky. If not lucky, bad machine code could be produced which on Gentoo being source-based is the worst scenario imaginable.