on 11/28/2008 12:33 AM Neil Bothwick wrote the following:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 20:47:24 +0200, Thanasis wrote:

Yesterday, I tried upgrading from gentoo-sources-2.6.25-r9 to
2.6.26-r3, but the new kernel can not mount the root filesystem,
because it's on a RAID1 on an SIL680 controller.
In the previous kernel I had CONFIG_PATA_SIL680=y , but in the new .config I cannot find any PATA. # grep -i pata .config
(gives nothing)

Grepping .config is a bad way of looking for options. If option A
disables B, A will appear as not set and B will not be mentioned. The
proper way is to use the / key to search in make menuconfig, which will
show you that you need ATA_SFF enabled to see many of the PATA and SATA
drivers now.

I just didn't know about the / key.
Very useful.
Thanks Neil.
:-) PS: are there any other keys one should know about?