Alan McKinnon schrieb:
[...]
Reiser tends to self-balance itself out. What is especially noteworthy is that none of the general purpose Linux filesystems provide a defrag utility. Theodore 'Tso and Hans Reiser are both exceptional programmers, if there was a need for such a tool they would assuredly have written one. They did not, so there probably isn't.

[...]

Well, as far as I know, ext4 will get an online defrag tool.

I once experienced performance losses on a reiserfs-volume used for ccache (tailpacking enabled).

But otherwise you are right, fragmentation is usually caused by a bad filesystem (FAT*), a filesystem that is mostly filled (when 99% is full, the allocator has no choice but scatter any new writes over the whole volume) or unusual usage patterns (write-delete-write-delete-... like my ccache issue).