On Friday 28 November 2008 17:08:03 Stroller wrote:
> I understood that ReiserFS's trees could become out-of-balance,
> resulting in performance loss, and that the way to deal with this was
> to tar the contents of the drive to another file-system and then untar
> them back.

That's what I tell people to do.

My purely anecdotal evidence: I observe that to get a Windows disk to reliably
defrag, it should be taken off-line (otherwise it constantly restarts the
process). A huge NTFS disk takes ages to defrag, the time involved seems
about the same order as simply move the files off, copy them back. One day I
may even test this with a stop watch :-)

As someone else said elsewhere, it's the user's problem to do the right thing
with sparse files, symlinks and to remember which files are actually hard
links.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com