> This reminds me of the text/html debate.  If you put links in the body
> and some guru that has the answer doesn't like links in the body, they
> may not read your post and you could be left without a answer for a
> while longer.  Or worse yet, if it is some software that is rarely used,
> they may be the only one here that uses the software and has the answer.

Well, I could do the same and erase any message with urls as
footnotes, since I dislike them. So it's the same thing, reversed.

Trashing emails just because they're not formatted as you like them is
a highly idiotic thing to do. I don't like top-posting for example,
but I do not trash top-posted mails -at worst, I explain the user why
top-posting looks bad.

> I prefer html messages myself but a lot of people here don't like them
> so I send text.  Some users even have filters that sends html to
> /dev/null which means they don't ever even get seen or read.  This is
> something you may want to consider when you send something.

I send text myself too usually (don't know when I'm using gmail from
the web like now).
However if I receive html mail, my mail client is set up to make it
look like it's only text, so I don't really see the difference.

> Also, I have ran into tinyurl not working or if I look up a old post, it
> may have expired or something and the link goes nowhere.  So guess what,
> I don't click on tinyurl stuff much.

Good point. But again, while sending HTML mail to a non-HTML enabled
mail client results in annoying garbage(*), or while top posting can
make a long thread impossible to follow, there is no reason not to
read even a loooooong URL in the text flow. So using footnotes is
purely aestethical -and even if I agree it's more good-looking, it's
much less practical for my personal usage. So I want an ecosystem with
URLs in the text body, therefore I will use them :)

This does not mean I drop mails formatted in the other way in the
trashbin. This just means we live happily with the differences, and
let natural selection select what fits more.

(*)There is also to ponder the fact that I find quite amusing that
someone is using a non-HTML-enabled mail client in 2008, and I would
like to know about that. I don't like html mail myself, but *actively
refusing* to deal with it , it's something escaping my comprehension.

> Thoughts to ponder.

Surely, thanks.

m.