On 2 Dec 2008, at 12:25, Dale wrote:
This reminds me of the text/html debate.  If you put links in the body
and some guru that has the answer doesn't like links in the body, they
may not read your post and you could be left without a answer for a
while longer. Or worse yet, if it is some software that is rarely used, they may be the only one here that uses the software and has the answer.

I prefer html messages myself but a lot of people here don't like them
so I send text.  Some users even have filters that sends html to
/dev/null which means they don't ever even get seen or read.  This is
something you may want to consider when you send something.

I've been wondering for a while why no alternative has been proposed. HTML was originally considered poor because it wasted bandwidth, HTML messages being *at least* twice the size of the plain text, but often several times as large. I wonder if console-based mail-readers were late in adopting it for that reason, and it gained additional unpopularity amongst programmers & the technorati as a consequence.

Nowadays HTML is bad principally because it imposes fonts upon the reader. I know what size my monitor is & at what size my mail program should render text. I have an HTML-capable mail reader & have no objection to the HTML messages sent by Amazon & Deep Discount, because they are clear & readable - they have expensive design teams who clearly take a deal of time ensuring that. But a poster to the Openmoko mailing list a while back formatted his messages not only in a tasteful green which I'm sure he enjoyed a lot, but also in a tiny font which was unreadable on my screen. Undoubtedly it looked fine to him, but I don't know what resolution he was using - 800 x 600??? - because the characters were about 2mm high on my 20" @ 1600 x 1200.

What I think would be ideal for email would be a very simple text markup which allows italics, underline, bold and strikethrough characters in addition to links. I'd love to be able to convey those kinds of emphasis to readers, and I'd also love to be able to use proper clickable links in the body of a text message, but at present I can't, because I don't think it's appropriate for me to impose 13- point Verdana on those who prefer Times or Courier in some other size.

EDIT: I guess a text size +1 for headers would also be appropriate (+2, -1, -2), bullet points plus superscript and subscript. Clearly some hashing out would be appropriate, but ideally formatting should be minimal, so that even displayed as pain-text the formatting is not intrusive; EG: --strikethough--, /italics/, _underline_ &c.

I have also found that clients appear inconsistent about how they apply quoting to HTML messages. At least often if I reply to an HTML message and change it to plain text then the quoted message magically looses a level of quoting. Typically I change to plain-text like this because I've copied & pasted a single sentence out of the quoted section and it comes out into my own paragraph as blue, the wrong size and an inconsistent font - this is another grip about HTML.

Also, I have ran into tinyurl not working or if I look up a old post, it
may have expired or something and the link goes nowhere.

I'm surprised by this, and always assumed TinyURL kept their links forever. Are you sure it's not simply that the post is so old it points to a target page that no longer exists? It looks like TinyURL have the capacity for about 2,176,782,336 unique links before they need to add another digit after the slash.