Harry Putnam wrote:
> Sorry for the lamer question but apparently things have changed since
> the days when putting default 3 in /etc/inittab would make the OS boot
> to text (console) mode.
>
> I'm running a vmappliance of gentoo-2008.0 from June and attempting to
> bring it up to date.
>
> Its setup to run xfce on boot.  Looking at the output of rc-update I
> saw xdm set for boot.
>
> Removed xdm from any runlevel and went to set inittab to default to
> runlevel 3 but find it already is and has been
>
>   id:3:initdefault
>
> But still on a reboot it goes to xfce desktop.
> What have I overlooked?

You may want to check /etc/rc.conf and make sure it is not starting
there.  I'm assuming you want to boot to the default level but just not
wanting the GUI to start.  You may want search for softlevel and add
that to your boot loader.

This sort of depends on why you are doing this and if it is a often used
thing or just once in a blue moon.  You can create a custom boot level
and have a boot line for that, I think you can still do that.  Things
are changing so much and fast I can't keep up.  :/

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)