Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> You may want to check /etc/rc.conf and make sure it is not starting
> there.  I'm assuming you want to boot to the default level but just not
> wanting the GUI to start.  You may want search for softlevel and add
> that to your boot loader.

Thanks... yes /etc/rc.conf was the culprit What I see about softlevel,
using google ,it appears to be more involved than what I need.  It
must be a tool in a larger package since eix doesn't know about it on
up to date portage, but I see mention of it with google.

> This sort of depends on why you are doing this and if it is a often
> used thing or just once in a blue moon.

It's been my practice for many years to boot into text mode since
more often than not, what I need to do can be done comfortably there.
So I've always choosen to use startx as needed.

That will now be possible since I can now control what happens with
~/.xinitrc.  Another old practice I've clung to.