Mark Knecht wrote:
> My Gentoo desktop has had a locale problem for longer than I can
> remember. I haven't been able to solve it on my own, but it didn't
> seem too important. More a frustration. I switched my profile to the
> 2008.0 desktop a few days ago. Everything seems to be working but I'm
> getting more of these locale-ish messages now so I'd like to figure
> out what I've done wrong.
>
> Here's one typical message I might see when running emerge --depclean:
>
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>       LANGUAGE = (unset),
>       LC_ALL = "en_US",
>       LANG = (unset)
>     are supported and installed on your system.
>
> The line about falling back to the standard locale "C" is pretty
> standard. I also see this in k3b every time I start the program. As I
> do a lot of audio work I'd really like to make sure the CDs I burn on
> this machine will be acceptable to folks/friends/customers. Here's
> what I see in k3b:
>
> <SNIP>
> System locale charset is ANSI_X3.4-1968
> Your system's locale charset (i.e. the charset used to encode
> filenames) is set to ANSI_X3.4-1968. It is highly unlikely that this
> has been done intentionally. Most likely the locale is not set at all.
> An invalid setting will result in problems when creating data
> projects.
> Solution: To properly set the locale charset make sure the LC_*
> environment variables are set. Normally the distribution setup tools
> take care of this.
> <SNIP>
>
>    I don't have a clue what's wrong and the Gentoo pages about locale
> setup seem to make some assumptions about my understanding of what
> this does and how it does it that I'm not living up to so I really
> don't know what to provide. I'll start with this and we'll see how it
> goes. It seems that possibly I'm supposed to hand edit
> /etc/env.d/02locale but in my longish history of running Gentoo (as a
> user type) I don't believe I've ever had to edit that so I'm thinking
> I must have messed up some other config file somewhere?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mark
>
> lightning ~ # cat /etc/locale.gen
> en_US ISO-8859-1
> en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
> lightning ~ #
>
> lightning ~ # locale
> LANG=en_US
> LC_CTYPE="en_US"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
> LC_TIME="en_US"
> LC_COLLATE="en_US"
> LC_MONETARY="en_US"
> LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
> LC_PAPER="en_US"
> LC_NAME="en_US"
> LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
> LC_ALL=
> lightning ~ #
>
> lightning ~ # cat /etc/env.d/02locale
> [...]

Check in your /etc/make.conf file and see if you have !some! of this:

INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
LINGUAS="en"
LANG="en_US"
LC_ALL="en_US.utf8"
SANE_BACKENDS="hp"
NUT_DRIVERS="cyberpower"
ALSA_CARDS="emu10k1"
CAMERAS="canon"
LCD_DEVICES=""
APACHE2_MODULES=""

Keep in mind, your settings may vary from mine but some may need to be
just like mine.  Also, if you do a emerge -pv <package-name>, it will
show what options are on and also what is available to use if nothing is
set.  Not all packages will use those settings so don't be concerned if
it doesn't show them on those.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-)  :-)