Nikos Chantziaras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Harry Putnam wrote:
>> [...]
>> It worked just fine.  But none of my attempts to bring the kernel up
>> to date have worked.  All failing with a error message something like:
>> `/dev/sdb3 is not a valid device'.
>
> According to your screenshot, you don't even have an sdb.  All the
> kernel sees is one hard disk: sda.  If you do have an sdb, check in
> VMWare that it's actually attached to the VM.
>
> Also, are you sure the VM you downloaded is for the version of VMWare
> you're actually using?  Why not create the VM yourself instead of
> downloading it?

You may have over looked this in the previous message:

> You'll notice I've since moved root from /sda3 to sdb3... expanding
> everthing.  That is not the cause of the problem though since the
> original kernel boots just fine with the edit to /dev/sdb3 as root.

So I have one kernel that will boot just fine, and discovers /dev/sdb3
with no problem... and had no problem with it.

So the shortfall is in the kernel itself.  Something I'm missing in
the working kernel config that is not finding its way into the newer
build .

Look at `mount' ouput when I'm booted the working kernel-2.6.24-r8

   rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
=> /dev/sdb3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
   /proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
   sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
   udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid)
   devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec)
   shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec)
   rc-svcdir on /lib/rc/init.d type tmpfs (rw, [...]
=> /dev/sda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
   none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
   usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,noexec,no [...]
   securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securi [...]
   debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs  [...]