Harry Putnam wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Harry Putnam wrote:
[...]
It worked just fine.  But none of my attempts to bring the kernel up
to date have worked.  All failing with a error message something like:
`/dev/sdb3 is not a valid device'.
According to your screenshot, you don't even have an sdb.  All the
kernel sees is one hard disk: sda.  If you do have an sdb, check in
VMWare that it's actually attached to the VM.

Also, are you sure the VM you downloaded is for the version of VMWare
you're actually using?  Why not create the VM yourself instead of
downloading it?

You may have over looked this in the previous message:

You'll notice I've since moved root from /sda3 to sdb3... expanding
everthing.  That is not the cause of the problem though since the
original kernel boots just fine with the edit to /dev/sdb3 as root.

So I have one kernel that will boot just fine, and discovers /dev/sdb3
with no problem... and had no problem with it.

Then I'd say you didn't compile the right drivers into the kernel. Inspect the boot messages with the working kernel to see what hardware is detected and also take a look at the output of lspci.