Mark David Dumlao wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Eric Martin <freak4u...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've seen plenty of emails going around requesting people not top-post
>> and not to post via html.  I don't think it's as big of a problem as
>> this thread makes it out to be.  While I'm sure some people do ignore
>> posts that fall into those categories, there's not really much you or I
>> can do about it.
>>
> I don't like defeatist attitudes just because they're related to
> community changes. There are certain parts of the community that can
> be readily improved (typically relating to centralized rules, FAQs,
> etc) and certain parts that are very difficult to improve (typically
> relating to the users' attitudes).
>
> If someone makes even a passing note of this on the website, then my
> single bug report might do the work of several dozen "dont post in
> html" mails over time.
>

>> Do you honestly believe that people who ignore html emails are doing
>> something different than you for ignoring any post you don't care
>> about?  That argument can be easily silenced when you realize that some
>> people "don't care" for html formatted email.
>>
> That's a pretty easy question to answer and substantiate. Yes. Posts
> are typically discriminated upon based on their content. On the other
> hand, html posts are discriminated based upon their formatting. This
> means questions that people would otherwise have answered get ignored.
> Content discrimination is a null transaction. Formatting
> discrimination is at some times a null transaction and at some times
> negative (friction).

I looked at your original post, the person who replied to you did so in
a concise manner that he doesn't like html emails.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Nicolas Sebrecht
<nicolas.s-...@lapostes.net> wrote:

> > You may try by sending a mail using the text format instead of the HTML
> > one. I don't read more than one line when it's written in HTML. I
> > suspect that a lot of contributors do the same here.
> >
> > Please, conform to the netiquette.

That was one of the coldest, most invisible, and hardest to
troubleshoot communication errors I've ever seen. I don't even know
where to begin.

I don't know if he could have made that any clearer.  That being said,
I'm done contributing to spam on the list.  Please bottom post and post
in a text only format.  For many people (myself included) this is the
first mailing list they joined.  Nobody was handed a manual up front,
for the most part you learn as you go.