On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 08:20:47PM +0200, Penguin Lover Nikos Chantziaras
squawked:
> If your /etc/skel/.bashrc doesn't have an entry for bash completion but
> your ~/.bashrc does, then I guess it's not needed anymore but probably was
> needed a long time ago.  AFAIK, updates won't change files in your $HOME so
> over time it tends to accumulate obsolete stuff.

I am curious as to how you have bash_completion working. Which version
of bash_completion are you running?

On my desktop which runs bash-completion-20050121-r10, I also do not
have the line to source bash-completion in /etc/skel/.bashrc

On my normal user console, if I do

 emerge --de<tab><tab>

it displays

--debug   --deep   --depclean

as you said. But if I start a bash shell without the skeleton .bashrc

bash --rcfile /etc/skel/.bashrc

which does not source bash-completion, typing

 emerge --de<tab><tab>

does absolutely nothing.

I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 759 days, 17:20