On Sunday 18 January 2009 20:10:36 Willie Wong wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 07:49:10PM +0200, Penguin Lover Alan McKinnon
squawked:
> > If I read that message out loud, it sounds suspiciously like a babelfish
> > translation from Japanese to English. Whatever it is, the author of the
> > message is certainly not a native English speaker.
>
> You have way too much faith in the education system provided by
> English speaking countries. While I cannot argue for most of those
> countries, I can claim, by example, that plenty of
> native-English-speaking red-blooded Americans write in a way not
> dissimilar to the snipplet cited above.
>
> This is not to say your conclusion is wrong; I just don't think it is
> possible to conclude from the evidence given that the author of the
> message is not a native English speaker, when I consider the kind of
> junk submitted to my in-law, who teaches at a fairly affluent suburban
> school district, by students who pretend that they are writing in
> English.
>
> Of course, you can bloody-well argue, by way of Henry Higgins, that
> "in America they haven't spoken [English] for years." :)

Forgive me, I was being foolish again :-) You see, I have this fatal flaw -
assuming that the capacity for logical thought exists; when in fact, upon
examination, one usually finds no such thing....

Oddly enough (or maybe not so oddly) if I look around the other desks at work,
the standard of spoken English is higher amongst the non-native English
speakers. Maybe they actually paid attention in class?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com