In <gl0vo0$mp...@ger.gmane.org>,
Grant Edwards <gra...@visi.com> wrote:

> On 2009-01-18, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But, I stand by my assertion that give just the message very many
> people are going to figure out that it means you need to replace the
> "firefox" use flag with the "xulrunner" use flag so that apps will
> build against firefox-3 instead of trying to build against firefox-2.

They won't build against Fx 3, they'll build against either Fx 2 or
xulrunner 1.8.1.x.  Once you have Fx 3, you can't have Fx 2, but you
can still have the older xulrunner, since xulrunner is slotted.

> > Briefly:
> >
> > The gecko rendering engine was always part of firefox through
> > versions 1 and 2. This is plain silly as such a thing should
> > really be an independent block of code that stands alone and
> > everything else can use without requiring that all of firefox
> > be present.
> >
> > This has now been fixed, the engine is now in a package called
> > xulrunner which firefox builds against. Other apps also need
> > xulrunner, but if you keep "USE=firefox" intact those apps
> > will pull in all of firefox-2 just to get gecko. If you have
> > firefox-3 installed, you have an instant blocker.  With
> > "USE=xulrunner" they will build against xulrunner and firefox
> > can be whatever you feel like installing.
>
> Now I'm confused.  I thought xulrunner was the user-interface
> engine rather than the rendering engine.

xulrunner provides both gecko and the ABIs needed for using a UI made
of XUL.

--
»Q«
     Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.